Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Victoria Falls and other updates!

So we got to Livingston on Friday afternoon after a 7 hour bus ride. After detour sing #12, people started to get a little anxious, but we all made it out alive. Friday night was shockingly spent drinking and being social. A bunch of us called it an early night though because we had an elephant ride at 7am!!!! Thats really early, but it was soooo worth it. I had so much fun. Berto and Ana rode together...shockingly :) and Nancy (another girl from the program) and I rode together. Nancy and I ended up with the crazy elephant, go figure...her name was Pongosi and she is insane. She kept going off into the vegetation and eating everything and anything that she could. The best part was our guide told us that Pongosi eat so much because she was a "healthy girl" just like me and Nancy...yes he actually said that...let me repeat that for you, a man who handles elephants for a living called me healthy, diet starts the day I get back!!!! lol it was really a lot of fun and I had a great time. That night we took a boat cruise down the river and had soooo much fun. There has been a little drama in terms of girls liking boys and since there are 4 guys in our group, competition has become a little intense...as a result Ana and I decided to stay in that night and let it all blow over! So funny that even as we get older, some things never change. The next morning was Victoria Falls and it has to easily be a highlight of my life. It was incredible. So massive and beautiful, we had a great time. My camera died as we got on the elephants on saturday though so I had to rely on Ana and Berto for me Victoria Falls pictures...thats a bummer but they did a really good job of taking pictures for me!
The bus ride back was 14 hours it felt like, it was ridiculous, but we made it back and it was off to work on Monday.
FINALLY i was able to go to Salvation House and I was sooo happy. I love them all! There are 2 girls for portland that are doing their internships for their MSW that are living there and I have made them my new friends...and I adore them. They are coming with me on Safari this weekend since Ana and Berto as well as Danny have opted out of going to the Lower Zambezi Safari Trip, sad but I am soooo excited. Anyway I love Salvation, the kids are awesome and I was put in the small group discussion with the older boys and they are tons of fun.
Today we went into the streets and besides getting punched in the face (accidentally) it was really not that bad. One of the kids stole the other kids drugs and he went frantically running after him and I was just caught in the middle..no biggie but my glasses went flying and it busted open my lip a little...just another adventure in the traveling of Felisa! I cant wait to go back on Thursday!
We have decided to build a chicken coop for the house since they are keeping their chickens in a closet in the kitchen so thats what my days will consist of I think until we leave...
thats all you get for now..
Will update soon!

1 comment:

  1. lol only you would go to africa for a college trip and end up getting punched in the face.

    ReplyDelete