Thursday, July 22, 2010

Site Update...

Aptekar kept me away from Salvation Home today...he decided that since I am feeling better it is best for me to get 100% before I head out to the streets...i agree its a good idea, but man was I bummed! The nice thing is that I have been totally torn between working at the clinic on campus and working with street kids so Aptekar sent me to the clinic today...
The only issue is that there is a conference in town right now so the Clinic has a booth set up there answering questions and handing out information. I was in heaven! I spent some time explaining American attitudes towards HIV/AIDS and then learning a lot about African Culture surrounding the disease. I was really in my element and loved it. I would definitely stay there if I didnt feel like seriously pushing myself to get the most out of this experience. HIV/AIDS in something that I am comfortable with and I understand a lot about, street kids in something entirely different. So I was super bummed when Aptekar pulled the plug, but I get to start back up on Monday at Salvation Home and then maybe take a day next week and go into the clinic to do pre/post HIV testing counseling...I'm sensing a career change :)
We will see. Tomorrow morning we are all headed out to Victoria Falls! This is going to be amazing! We are taking a elephant ride to see some animals (AHHHH I CANT WAIT!!!!)
ok I probably wont post until after Victoria Falls...

4 comments:

  1. sounds so exciting!!! i hope you get better soon! i can just picture you doing your thing all the way over there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete! Sounds all so amazing. I can't WAIT to see pics and hear it all in person! Love you. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felisa! You are....awesome. Thanks for sharing all of this. Miss you...Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lady!! I am super late in following your blog (sorry!) but that is SO AWESOME!!!!!! I am so glad you were able to do both the street kids thing and the HIV/AIDS thing. I can't wait to talk to you about your whole experience! I LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU and good luck with the rest of your journey!!! :)

    ReplyDelete